Friday, April 5, 2013
OK... This is something I hear all the time... everywhere. I remember a period of time in high school when this craze began. Somehow it was wrought into all out heads that we need to drink 8 glasses of water a day! Girls would bring to school mini jugs of water to sip on all throughout the day. Along with that came multiple visits to the ladies room! We are constantly told that water is one of the keys to maintaining beautiful and youthful skin. We are told to drink water to exhaustion and if we don't there will be consequences.
So what is true?!
This statement is absolutely false. What is true is that up to 60% of your body is water, the brain is composed of 70% water, and the lungs are composed 90% of water.Our bodies have an amazing way of maintaining homeostasis, and sometimes we just have to trust that it can work itself. Our kidneys contain a complex system that control how much water is absorbed into the system and how much is excreted in urine. The kidneys also maintain salt balance and blood pressure. When your body needs water - It will let you know!
Remember, "water" is not only in what we drink, but also in the foods we eat. An apple for example is around 85% water!
In fact, drinking too much water can cause hyponatremia ( too much water and not enough salt). This itself can have negative impacts on the body.
So... while it is important to stay hydrated and drink water multiple times a day.. we should not get caught up on this figure. We should however, listen to our bodies, and use that as a gauge for what we need - whether is is more water, more sleep, or more exercise.
After much delay (sorry!).... Here is Part 2 of my makeup must haves!
See part 1.
See part 1.
5. Nars Bronzer in Laguna and Casino
- I use Casino, which is darker, for contouring
- Laguna is great for a lighter, glowy, tan look
- quite expensive but lasts a very long time and looks natural
6. Mac Blush is Pink Swoon
- I am not a fan of too rosy cheeks, so this is the perfect blush for me
- It may not show up on skin tones darker than mine
- light transparent pinky blush that adds just a hint of flush to the cheeks
7. Mac Concealer in NC25
- Great coverage for under eye dark circles
- although the pot looks small, there is a lot of product!
8. Smashbox Browtech
- I love love love this product... Who knew that perfect eyebrows could make a huge difference in the way your eyes look! When I first discovered this product, I was unsure how to use it without looking like a clown. However, now that I have been playing around with it for years, I could not live without it. The key is to have the right brush - an angled brush- and to start at the arch of your brow. Don't go too heavy on the inside corner or outside tail of your brow. You want to fill in brows and slightly elongate.