Monday, June 17, 2013
Residency Interviews: How to Prepare!
So here are a few tips for applicants and well as those interviewing for jobs in general:
1. Always look your best. Get a haircut, have a neutral hair color, and wear neutral makeup. Now is not the time to make a bold statement.
2. Find a mature suit that flatters your body type and can be used for years to come. Honestly... how often are you going to wear a suit? I prefer to play it safe and wore a plain black suit with white cami underneath. Paired with Ann Taylor Perfect Patent Pumps in Black, I was good to go for a whole day of interviewing while still looking stylish and put together.
3. If your suit does not fit properly, get it altered! There is nothing worse than having your pants drag on the ground or an ill fitting suit!
4. Do your research. Read about the program, the attendings, the city etc. This is your time to ask all the necessary questions.
5. Carry a professional bag.
6. Get business cards from everyone who interviews you! Write thank you letters within 2 weeks.
7. Smell great! The sense of smell is powerful...
8. Be confident. Don't be intimidated by those vying for the spot/ spots you really want. If you get an interview... you deserve to be there and should carry yourself as so!
9. Smile! In the end... people want to work with happy, and positive people who can also get the job done.