I've always been small and skinny. Indian culture sometimes sees this "slimness" as a negative, but times are changing. My father used to make me buy size large in clothing, with the rational that one day I would fit into it. I am 26 now, and those larges are still WAY too big. The goal is to never fit into a size large- So anyway, here are some lifestyle tips for staying skinny!
1. Diet matters more than exercise. I have mentioned this in a previous post. Don't get me wrong, I love to work out - but I don't do it religiously! As physicians we recommend 30 min of continuous exercise 3-5 times a week. Exercise is great for our bone healthy - especially if you are a thin woman of asian decent - as you are more likely to get osteoporosis. Exercise is also great for your mood.
2. Eat breakfast everyday. I tend to be more meal heavy in the morning. That way, I have all day to burn and use up those calories. Dinner tends to be my lightest meal - which is not what you see promoted in mainstream media.
3. This may sound weird - but has worked for me-- When you eat food, think about what that food can do for you. A carrot? Loaded with vitamin A - great for my vision. Spinach - ton's of folate - great for women of child bearing age. A cup of tea with honey? (See long post done before) You get the picture. Now let's talk about, a can of soda? Ton's of sugar, makes you burp!, makes you feel bloated, no nutrition, but the first couple sips taste great with a pizza! Here is my motto, in the world we live in there is nothing wrong with indulging here and there. If I am going to eat 4 bites of a chocolate brownie - it better be the most chocolatey and tasty brownie - or else it is not worth it to me. I'm the type of person that does not crave sweets, but I'd rather have a few bites of the real thing, than a whole serving of a watered down version. Having a slice of pizza or a coldstone Like It ice cream here and there will not kill you, but make these meals rare and your portions very small.
4. Avoid buying beef, pork, lamb etc. Stick to lean meats like chicken and turkey. Indulge in fish and seafood! If you don't buy it, you won't cook it!
5. Use a lot of lemon and olive oil! Both add great favor and provide heath benefits. When a recipe calls for adding salt for taste- I never do it! Also, I never add sugar to any of my tea beverages.
6. Don't make desert at home! I know this is asking a lot - but think about it. If you don't make it - you won't eat it! Then, when you go out to dinner with the family - split a small dessert. Your craving will be fulfilled without the guilt.