Instagram

Instagram

Monday, July 21, 2014

No More Harvard Debt. No More Medical School Debt.



 image via NoMoreHarvardDebt.com


I recently visited Joe Mihalic's famous website: NoMoreHarvardDebt.com and loved the message in his most recent post. It was a lecture he gave to highschool students. I think all too often this message is lost in traditional schooling. We sit in  math, science, history class memorizing facts and taking tests- but little is given in the way of REAL life. How do I save money, how much is OK to spend, how do I find the right career for me, WHAT should I consider when picking a career. It's hard to imagine what our adult lives will be like or what we will end up valuing. Joe Milaic bought a fancy place and car at the young age of 26. In the scheme of life- 26 is a baby! Just starting your career, with no real commitments or obligations. His  message is true- people will EASILY lend you money- no problem. Student loans are easy to get and hard to pay off. Credit card companies LOVE to give you that card and increase your spending limits as if you had won some award, but the truth is there is nothing in high end fashion that lasts long enough to warrant going into debt. That Chanel bag will not make you healthier, more fit, more GOD GIVEN naturally beautiful. It may give you the admiration of other fashion shallow women... but that is it. 

Now don't get me wrong.... but money is meant to be enjoyed wisely, but the problem comes when you are spending money to buy transient goods to impress people you don't even really like! I love beauty and health products but strive to find products that will stand the test of time, are worth the money, and do what they say they will do. I don't expect a cream to get rid of wrinkles, I don't need  every lipstick brand in a shade I love, I don't need 10 products that do the same thing, I don't need to buy into every trend of the week/month/ year. I don't do my nails regularly because I think it is a waste of time, effort etc. I would not go to a salon to get this done either. I value thinks like learning how to cut my own hair, DYI skincare, hollistic/ alternative medicine that helps me feel at peace  from the inside out.

Being Med School debt free and now being able to focus on what makes me happy in life, and what is right for my family is the best sense of freedom that no amount of money can buy. 
   
      ......     And they don't teach you that in school!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing feedback or comments! Please leave your comment below!